Do you have family or friends visiting soon and a disorganized guest room? This is a common home organizing problem. The room where you host guests often becomes cluttered in between visitors. Whether it is a spare room, bonus room, or dedicated guest bedroom, the space can quickly become a catch-all for random items.
12 tips to create a calm and relaxing guest room in your home:
1. Model your guest room with hotel room hospitality in mind.
2. Declutter the guest room. Remove all items that do not belong in this space.
3. Make space for clothing. Add a luggage rack, empty dresser drawers, or a create space in the closet for your guests’ clothing.
4. Clean all bedding, or perhaps put new linens on the guest bed and provide extra blankets.
5. Next to the bed, place a working lamp, a clock, a box of tissues, and an outlet or charging station within easy reach for laptops and mobile devices.
6. If your home has a wireless network, include a note with the network password on the bedside table.
7. Add a hook to the back of the door to hold a robe. You could even provide a clean fresh bathrobe for that additional hotel touch.
8. Provide a clean set of towels for your guests.
9. In the bathroom, take a few hotel sized toiletries, and place them in a drawer or tray on the bathroom counter. Also, have a hair dryer available for guests to use.
10. If you live in a tourist location, you can include brochures, maps, menus, or a list of places and activities they may consider visiting during their stay.
11. Thoroughly clean both the guest bedroom and bathroom.
12. To complete hotel touch, add a fragrant spray or cut flowers to the room.
If you feel overwhelmed with your guest room, a professional organizer can help to efficiently and effectively declutter, organize, and prepare the room for visitors; saving you time, and lowering stress. For more information on how On Task Organizing can help, please call 919-561-0885 for a free phone consultation.
Janet Barclay says
I don’t currently have a guest room, but I would definitely appreciate all of those things if I were staying at someone else’s house! Great list!
Jackie Watters says
I will definitely be using some of your suggestions in the near future. We are in the process of remodeling our guest room. This is very helpful
Nancy Haworth says
I am glad you found it helpful!