Here are some tips to keep your family organized, as summer winds down and children head back to school.
At the End of Summer
- Have children try on all clothing, sell or donate clothing that no longer fits.
- Go shopping for essential back to school clothing and school supplies.
- A week before school starts, reintroduce the school year wake-up time and bedtime.
- Set up a designated homework station, a table or desk stocked with school supplies.
- Set up a drop zone by the door with low hanging hooks for coats and backpacks, a place for shoes, and an inbox for school papers and art work.
- Place a large calendar on the wall so everyone can keep track of daily schedules.
Use Evenings to Plan Ahead
- For a less chaotic morning, it is important to set evening routines to be prepared for the next day.
- Before bedtime, make sure all permission slips are signed, homework is done, and the backpacks are packed.
- Check the next day’s weather and choose clothing for the following day.
- Have all after-school activity or sports equipment and clothing ready the night before.
- Set out breakfast dishes the night before.
- Make sandwiches, and have any other lunch box supplies together on a low shelf and ready to be packed in the morning.
- Pack items that don’t need refrigeration.
- If your child buys lunch, make sure there is lunch money in the backpack, or enough money in a school lunch account.
Establish Morning & Afternoon Routines
- If you’re often running late, set your clocks 10 minutes fast.
- With evening preparation, your morning routine will run more smoothly.
- In the afternoon, use the drop zone to collect all school items.
- Review all school papers and determine what is needed for the next day.