Did your parents or grandparents pass down holiday decorations to you? Organizing and storing your own decorations can be difficult, and even more challenging if you’ve inherited boxes of old decorations and ornaments from loved ones.
Rather than taking up space in your garage, basement, attic or storage unit; tackle those boxes and bins this holiday season. If you will never display the old decorations, here are some ways to put them to good use.
- Keep a few favorites. Sort through the ornaments, and only keep those that mean the most to you. Try to limit this to one box, or the amount of space still available on your own tree. Did your mother or father collect a certain type of ornament? Pick just a few you cherish most to represent those people or holiday memories.
- Give to charities. Donate old sets of lights, trees and holiday decor to charities. Older ornaments that you know no one in your family will want can also be donated. Needy families would make good use of the decorations.
- Sell to collectors. For collectible ornaments, check prices on eBay, perhaps you can sell those.
- Share with other family members. Determine if certain ornaments should be given to other family members. This year, maybe your sister or brother would like to open a box of favorite ornaments from childhood Christmases.
- Create a photo scrapbook. Before donating or selling, take a photograph of each item for your own keepsake. From those photographs, you can create a scrapbook using a site like Shutterfly, and make copies for your relatives. Each member of your family can enjoy a treasured keepsake they can look through each year, rather than one person being burdened with boxes of decorations gathering dust in storage.
- Create holiday cards. You can also create your own holiday cards with a favorite holiday decoration from your family’s past displayed on the front of the card. Family and friends will enjoy the nostalgia of your holiday greeting.
- Use proper storage containers. Be sure to properly store the items that you do keep in watertight containers with packing material.
Once your collection is narrowed down, you can enjoy displaying a few select decorations each year to remember past holidays.