Bathrooms are often the smallest rooms in a home and can easily become cluttered with many toiletries and other items. Here are 6 common bathroom items that can be decluttered or reduced in number to open up space in your bathroom.
- Travel soaps, shampoos and lotions from hotel stays. Keep only what you will use, and donate the extras to a homeless shelter.
- Any type of hair or beauty product that you tried for a short time but no longer use.
- Expired medications. Be sure to safely dispose of unused medicines. In Wake County, North Carolina, there are several medicine take-back drop box locations.
- Expired bottles of sunscreen. Generally sunscreens remain effective for 3 years from the date of manufacture. Many sunscreen containers have expiration dates.
- Make-up that has expired. Expiration dates exist because makeup is prone to bacterial contamination, discoloration and drying out. Some items such as mascara should be used within 3-6 months, other cosmetics such as lipstick should be used within 2 years. If you have owned any makeup product for more than 2 years, it is time to discard it.
- Excess cosmetic bags, the ones that often come for free with a beauty product purchase. If you’re not using it, it may be best to give it away.