Organizing a linen closet can sometimes be a challenge because of limited space. If you do not have a large linen closet, or a designated linen closet, consider storing linens on shelves in a guest room closet, hall closet, a section of the master closet, or in another storage space in your home. Below are some suggestions that have worked well for my organizing clients.
20 Tips for Organizing a Linen Closet
1. Remove anything torn, stained, or worn out. Many animal shelters accept donations of old linens for bedding.
2. Keep only 2 or 3 sets of towels per person.
3. Keep only 2 or 3 sets of sheets per bed.
4. Separate by category such as beach towels, bath towels, sheets & tablecloths.
5. Fold all linens neatly before storing them.
6. Designate a certain color towel for each bathroom or each person.
7. Store matching sets of sheets and towels together.
8. Less frequently used items, such as beach towels, guest towels and guest sheets can be stored on a higher shelf or toward the back of the closet.
9. Store all bulky items such as blankets together on a shelf or in a bin.
10. Use vacuum bags or space bags on bulky blankets to save space.
11. Add shelf dividers to help separate piles of linens.
12. Add linen closet storage boxes to better contain your collection.
13. Open canvas bins or cloth storage cubes or drawers also work well for corralling sets of sheets and towels together.
14. Use an under shelf hanging basket to create more space in the linen closet.
15. If you have a closet rod in your linen closet, use hangers to hang tablecloths and blankets.
16. Make use of the back of the door by hanging hooks for extra towels, or over the door hanging baskets for smaller linens.
17. Add a shelf liner to wire shelves.
18. Label shelves or storage boxes.
19. Label tags of sheets & towels with fabric label tape or a laundry marker.
20. If you also keep bathroom items in this closet, use small labeled plastic bins to store items.
On Task Organizing, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com