Most homes have at least one filing cabinet or file box full of documents, and offices have even more. Although most documents can now be accessed digitally, there are many benefits to organizing your filing cabinets.
Here’s a look at 15 reasons to organize your filing cabinets:
- To save time both at home and in the office.
- To easily locate records and information when needed.
- To remove outdated documents that can be recycled or shredded.
- To prepare papers for scanning.
- To eliminate overwhelming paper piles.
- To make it easier to file tax returns.
- To avoid late fees by having bills organized and paid on time.
- To have insurance information ready if needed.
- To keep better track of all financial records.
- To keep better track of receipts and expenses.
- To gather essential documents (birth certificates, social security cards, etc.) to be relocated to a safe deposit box.
- To provide information such as your will, health care directives and passwords to financial accounts to family members in case of your hospitalization or death.
- To have easy access to user manuals should something in your home need repair.
- To have medical records on file and quickly accessible.
- To be able to retain necessary documents for a predetermined length of time (for businesses, based on your company’s file retention policy) in an organized filing system.
The main benefit of organizing any area of your home or office is that you will save time searching for items resulting in less stress and chaos. If you live in the Raleigh, North Carolina area and need hands-on organizing assistance or want a do-it-yourself plan, I’d love to help you. If you live elsewhere, I offer virtual organizing services via video chat to help you with any size organizing project. Please contact me for a free phone consultation to get started.
Leave a Reply